The UA Pre-Law Program hosts various law schools for one-on-one campus interviews (OCIs) with undergraduate students. While the interviews are not usually part of each law school’s formal application process, they allow for the student applicants to meet individually with an admissions representative from a law school of interest, ask questions, and make an impression.
They also allow law schools to meet current and future applicants, putting a “face” to each UA student’s application. Approximately two weeks before each OCI session students can request an interview slot, which are prioritized by class year, schedule availability, and timeliness of response.
Announcements about the opening of each session’s registration are distributed via the Pre-Law listserv.
Fall 2018 OCI Dates
- 9/27 – The University of Alabama School of Law
- 10/2 – Emory University School of Law
- 10/11 – Cumberland School of Slaw
- 10/18 – SMU Dedman School of Law, University of Arizona School of Law, University of Tennessee School of Law, University of Mississippi School of Law
- 10/29 – Stetson College of Law
- 11/12 – University of Texas-Austin School of Law
10 Questions to Ask Law School Reps
The University of Alabama Law School Fair provides an excellent opportunity for students to interact and engage with law school representatives from around the country. This is your opportunity to ask questions regarding specific interests and concerns. This resource may serve as a guide to help you get started in gathering information to find the law school that is the best fit for you. Be thoughtful and prepared with your questions for the law school representatives and you will make a strong impression.
- Beyond the LSAT and GPA, what can help a student stand out in an application?
- Is there an advantage to applying early? If so, when do you advise applying by?
- Is there a downside to taking the LSAT multiple times?
- Is there a particular area of law that you see more students interested in now than in the past? In what specialties do you see the potential for job growth over the next 10 years?
- What clinical, externship, moot court/trial team, and law journal/law review opportunities are offered? Is participation competitive?
- What is the atmosphere like? How would you describe student relationships?
- Does your school help pair students with alumni mentors or current students who are further along in their careers?
- What criteria are used to award merit-based and need-based scholarships? What is needed to keep these scholarships?
- How active is your career services office bringing in potential employers for on-campus interviews, helping students find a clerkship, employment, etc.?
- What would you characterize as the strongest aspects of your school?
Law School Fair 2018 OCI Participants
- Boston College Law School
- Charleston School of Law
- Emory University School of Law
- Faulkner University Thomas Goode Jones School of Law
- Georgia State University College of Law
- Maurice A. Deane Hofstra School of Law
- Penn State Law
- St. John’s University School of Law
- South Carolina School of Law
- Texas A&M University School of Law
- University of Richmond School of Law
- Vermont Law School
*More OCIs will be added throughout the semester